Monday, February 4, 2013

Being a substitute teacher…

is a little harder than I thought it would be. I wasn’t expecting it to be easy but I didn’t realize that there would be some really good days and some really bad days. On Friday I had my first really bad day. I was in 3 different classrooms because they were having 3 grade level meetings for 3 of the grades. The first classroom I was in was fine, no problems what-so-ever. The next room…that’s where the problems began. The students were working on a problem solving packet and were working on 2 problems with a partner. When it came time to bring them back together to go over the problems, I just couldn’t do it. They didn’t want to listen to me. I had to have a student go to the office to get someone to come help me out. I thought that helped a little and at the time I think it did, but it didn’t last long. After lunch I was still with that class for a little longer. I tried to go over a quick review for a test they were taking, but again, the students were not listening to me, no matter what I did. So eventually I just said, “Ok, back to your desks. It’s time for the test.”

On to the next classroom…I was thinking positively that my last part of the day was going to go really well. Well, I was wrong. I brought the class back from their special and attempted to do a math lesson but the students weren’t listening. I know that some people may wonder if it wasn’t the class and that it was me that wasn’t able to control them, but that is not the case. And I know I’ve only been subbing for 3 weeks now, but before Friday, I have never been with a class that acted like those 2 classes did. I know that the reason they acted that way is simply because most of the time, students act up when they have a substitute. I don’t know why students do that, but it is just the way things are in life. When I get a full-time teaching job, I am going to do everything I can to get my students to behave for a substitute like they would for me.

So, here’s to hoping that this week goes much better for me than Friday did. Tomorrow I have a full day and then the rest of the week I just have half days. Have a great week everyone!!!


Seriously, who put this in students’ heads???

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some comments! (I do my best to respond to them all!! :)