Thursday, August 9, 2012

Kudos to them…

So I just got done watching Oxygen’s new series, I’m Having Their Baby. I found out about this show through Catelynn from Teen Mom. I just have to say “Wow!” The women on that show are some of the strongest women in the world! While I do agree with adoption, I don’t think I would ever be able to do what those women have done. I shed a lot of tears just watching the show and seeing what they had to go through. It is just an amazing thing that those women are doing. They are giving couples a chance to have a family when they otherwise wouldn’t be able to do that.

The episode of I’m Having Their Baby that I watched followed the story of Jamie and Sydney. Jamie is a 27 year old mother of 3 children and the father’s of her children are not involved. Jamie knew that having a 4th child would not be good for her or her other children. Of her friends that we saw on the show, they all seemed supportive except for one. The one that didn’t support her just didn’t understand how she could choose one of her children to give away. But that wasn’t what Jamie was doing. She even said herself that it isn’t like she picked the child who got on her nerves the most and decided to give them away. She just did what was best for the child and her family.

Sydney is a 22 year old who recently graduated college. She lives in Portland, Oregon, and her plan was to move to Los Angeles to get a job in social work. But that plan changed when she unexpectedly got pregnant. The father was a friend and he didn’t want anything to do with the baby. Jamie’s story touched me more than Jamie’s because Sydney is the same age as me. She is also a recent graduate and I will be graduating in December, just 4 months away! It just makes me stop and think, “What would I do if I were in her situation?” And you know what, I said before that I don’t think I would ever be able to do what she did, but I honestly don’t know what I would do if I were actually in that situation. Whenever the topic of babies comes up and I say that I don’t want one for another 3 years or so, my fiance always says that we could have one now and he would be fine with that. But that’s just not what I want to happen. I want to graduate from college, get married, teach for at least 2 years, and then we can start a family. So if something were to happen that we would do that last step first, I don’t know how that would change the rest of my plans. I mean, I know I would still be able to graduate college since I’m only 4 months away, but what about getting married right away? Babies take money and so do weddings. So I think maybe my fiance needs to read this post and then he’ll understand why it wouldn’t be a wise decision if we had a baby any time soon.

Alright, I’ll stop rambling on now. If you haven’t seen it yet, I highly suggest watching I’m Having Their Baby on Oxygen! It will definitely make you stop and think about what you would do if you were in their shoes. Have a great Thursday everyone!!!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved this show. I think it sends a strong and powerful message about the wonderful things adoption can do for the birth parents, adoptive parents and child.

    I agree with the decision that both women made to choose adoption. However, although this sounds a little awful, I have more sympathy and connect more with Sydney than Jamie. Sydney made an honest mistake, but turned it into a positive. Jamie also made the right decision, but it frustrates me that this is her fourth child at such a young age. Why isn't someone educating her on safe sex? Why isn't she actively trying to NOT get pregnant? I'm glad she was able to help a couple in need, but she should be more responsible.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comments! (I do my best to respond to them all!! :)