Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A garden at last!

Ever since I can remember, I’ve always said that when I get a house I want to have a garden!!! Well, that dream is finally going to become reality!! A few weeks ago me, my fiancé, and my dad started on the garden by digging up the sod. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be! I tried taking the shovel to dig up a piece of sod, but I’m just not strong enough! So I left that to my fiancé and dad and I just carried the pieces of sod across the yard to put under a tree.

I forgot to take a picture of the area before we started digging, but I did take one when they were almost done.

 

100_3990It wasn’t the best day to do this because of the rain, but we had already planned to do it that day so we just went for it. It wasn’t even raining that hard, just sprinkling.

Here is a picture of the garden after they were done digging up the sod.

100_3994So now, the hard part of having a garden is done. Next we need to get a rototiller so we can till the soil. But until then, I need to decide what I want to plant. I’m debating if I’m going to start any plants indoors or not because I don’t have any places inside that get enough sunlight so I’m not sure where I would put them so that they get sunlight.

I just found this awesome chart that says when to start seeds indoors and when to start them in the ground. You put in your zip code and then it tells you approximated dates of when to plant vegetables.

image I also found this site on Pinterest, it’s called Sprout Robot. You plug in your zip code like the site above and it tells you what you can plant in your garden and when. You gotta love the internet! If you don’t know anything about gardening (like me) you can find all kinds of tools to help you out!!!

imageSo question for you, what tips do you have when growing a garden? What are some easy vegetables to grow? What are hard vegetables to grow? Leave me a comment, thanks!!

1 comment:

  1. How exciting. You're going to have so much fun with it! Good luck with starting your seeds. Sprout Robot sounds really cool!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comments! (I do my best to respond to them all!! :)