Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A 15-month-old sipping alcohol??

So at a Michigan Applebee’s, a 15-month-old got served alcohol instead of apple juice. The juice was in a mislabeled container, but it was apple juice. The container just had some margarita mix in it. His mother said, “He was saying ‘hi’ and ‘bye’ to the walls. He laid his head down like he was sleepy, then woke up and got really hyper.” The mother thought that his odd behavior was because of a lack of sleep, but at the end of the meal, the father took a sip of his son’s juice and found out that there was alcohol in it. When he was rushed to the hospital his blood alcohol content was measured at 0.10. If he would have drank the whole cup he would have died. They are very lucky that he didn’t have any more than what he did. But that is unfortunate that this whole thing had to happen in the first place. The family said they will never return to that Applebee’s and I don’t blame them.

I found another article saying that they are going to change their drink polices because of this. And apparently this isn’t the first time this has happened. In 2006, a New York Applebee’s served an alcoholic drink instead of apple juice and in 2007, a toddler in a California Applebee’s drank a margarita instead of apple juice. They say that from now on they will serve apple juice only from single-serve containers served at the table. They are also going to retrain all servers on their beverage pouring policy. They will emphasize that non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages must be stored in completely separate and identified containers. I think they should go beyond that and have different refrigerators for non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages.

So what do you think about this? Does this incident change how you feel about Applebee’s and will it stop you from eating there? I don’t think it will make me avoid them, as long as they take the proper measures to make sure this never happens again. Thanks for reading and leave me comments!!

Linking to...
Photobucket
Sippy Cup Mom

7 comments:

  1. What a careless thing to do! Applebee’s should be thankful that the child didn’t suffer serious harm from this incident. Clearly, the company’s policies and procedures relating to alcohol need to be closely examined, and the people responsible need to be fired! It makes me think twice about eating there because now I don't trust the non-alcoholic drinks or even the food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    I am a new follower from the Blog hop.
    I blog at www.tammileetips.com
    Tammilee

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sick. How can Applebees and employees be so irresponsible? I hope the child and family are okay, and am glad that Applebees will change its policies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower. When you get the chance please follow me back.. http://realadventuresfromamomof3.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this type of incident happened only once, I could be more forgiving. The fact that it's happened more than once makes it hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this on the morning news. Glad to see they are making changes to minimize chance of this happening again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following you from the Get Wired Wednesday Blog Hop! Nice to meet you!
    Tomi at
    Three Boys and an Old Lady

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comments! (I do my best to respond to them all!! :)