Friday, March 25, 2011

Why should we keep reading?


So I was just randomly thinking about the fact that I love to read, but I can’t remember the last time I picked up a book and read it for pleasure. For the past few months I’ve just been reading textbooks and articles for classes. So it just got me thinking “Why is reading important even for adults?” I found an article about why reading is important and found a few interesting facts: research has shown that avid readers stand out from the rest because of improved cognitive abilities. They can think creatively and it improves their grasping power. They are better analyzers and problem solvers.
The article goes on to explain that it is an activity that keeps us occupied and helps divert our mind from boredom. I definitely agree with the author of the article when they say “It is one of the best ways of relaxation”. When I really get into a good book, I can forget about everything else going on around me. It is definitely a great escape from everyday life.
So I’m going to make it my goal, that between now and the end of the year, I read 20 books for pleasure. Since there are 9 months left in the year after March, I would mean I would have to read about 2 books per month. I think that is a pretty doable goal. And in fact, I’m going to start right now with House Rules by Jodi Picoult. Leave me comments letting me know if you like reading and give me some suggestions on what I should read.

I'm linking to...






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some comments! (I do my best to respond to them all!! :)