Friday, February 11, 2011

Disney is Going After Babies

I found an interesting article titled Disney Looking Into the Cradle for Customers. It was talking about how starting last month, The Walt Disney Company started Disney Baby, where they have a representative visit a new mother and offer a free Disney Cuddly Bodysuit, which is a variation of the classic Onesie. They also ask mothers to sign up for e-mail alerts from DisneyBaby.com. I checked out the site and it looks pretty cool. You can get all kinds of tips and even connect with other women who are pregnant or are mothers. I hope the site is around when I have children. I’m sure it will be though, because Disney is a brand that I think will be around forever.

Disney, however, has gotten some harsh criticism for directing their products at the very young. Ever hear of Baby Einstein, the Disney-owned maker of “developmental and entertainment” videos and toys for babies and toddlers? They claimed to turn babies into geniuses and eventually Disney had to give some refunds for the products because they didn’t do what they were supposed to do.

Andy Mooney, chairman of Disney Consumer Products, said that they are working on a loyalty program in which pregnant women might receive free theme park tickets in return for signing up for e-mail alerts. He said, “To get that mom thinking about her family’s first park experience before her baby is even born is a home run.” I think that is amazing, especially for brand new moms. The article says that a large number of families do  not become consumers of Disney products until their children reach preschool age, which is when they start to watch Disney Channel shows.

Like I said before, Disney is a great company that will be around for a long, long time. Some people may criticize Disney for doing this, but I don’t see a problem with it. Leave me comments and let me know when your opinions are on this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some comments! (I do my best to respond to them all!! :)