Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Did I pick the wrong major?

I found an article on Yahoo’s main page titled Degrees That Get Job Offers. It lists 5 degrees that give college graduates a great chance to find a job after graduation. It makes me look at the list and think to myself, “Why didn’t I choose one of these degrees instead?” But if I look at each one individually, I then realize why I didn’t pick any of these 5 majors.

The first one is an accounting degree. This one is out of the picture for me because math isn’t my strongest subject. Being an education major, I only had to take 2 simple math classes. I failed the first one (I got a C- when you needed at least a C) and then retook that and got a C+. Then the second math class I got a B on. So I did better with the second one, but that doesn’t mean I want to change my major anytime soon.

The next one is a business degree. I just can’t see myself in a business career. I think that would be too hard and too boring for me.

The third is computer/information systems degree. Another career path that would be hard for me. I know computers, but just basic things. I don’t know anything about computer systems and stuff like that.

The fourth is an engineering degree. Again, this one would be way to difficult and boring for me. It just doesn’t interest me at all and I don’t think I would have even had the SAT scores if I wanted to go for this degree.

And last but not least, the fifth one is a health sciences degree. Along with math, science is another subject I don’t do so well in. Also, I couldn’t be a doctor or nurse because I can’t stand that much blood. I’ve thought before about how it would be interesting to work in the NICU, but then I remembered that I would have to take a bunch of science classes for that so that wouldn’t work for me.

So, a teaching degree may not be in the top 5 of the degrees that get job offers, but they are still in demand. Just think about it, teachers are always going to be needed as long as we’re alive on planet Earth. And there will always be ones who are retiring, therefore we will always need to hire new ones.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some comments! (I do my best to respond to them all!! :)