Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Get rid of or keep?

That is the question when it comes to which devices and gadgets you should keep and which ones you should get rid of. I found an article through yahoo and they mentioned 10 gadgets so I’m going to list them and then give my opinions on them.

Desktop computer- Lose it! I don’t currently have one, but my fiancĂ© does. He needs it though because he’s a gamer and web designer. I also use it for my music because if I had all 2,522 songs and 250 apps that are on my iPod touch on my laptop, it would be really slow!!

High-speed internet at home- Keep it! I definitely agree with keeping this one. Sure I can get internet on my phone, but I still need it on my laptop when I’m home from college because I can’t do everything on my phone. High-speed internet will always be a necessity.

Cable TV- Depends. I don’t know why this one gets a “depends”. Cable isn’t a necessity, but I think it is definitely worth the cost.

Point-and-shoot camera- Lose it! I disagree with this one! The article says that you should just rely on your phone’s camera. I could never take all the pictures I take with just my camera phone. I almost always have my camera with me, it takes less than 5 seconds to turn on, and it takes way better pictures than a phone camera. So no matter what, I will always have a digital camera.

Camcorder- Lose it! I agree with this one, the old-school camcorders are history. Someday (like when I have kids) I would like to get one of those Flip Cameras because they look really cool!

USB thumb drive- Lose it! The article says that you can just email files to yourself so that you will be able to access them anywhere you can access your email. I do that sometimes, but I still use my USB. I mostly use it when I’m at college and have a bunch of things to print. I have a folder on my USB where I put things in that I have to print. So then I can just stick the USB in a computer in a computer lab on campus and easily print what needs printed.

Digital music player- Lose it! (probably) I totally disagree with this one!! The article says if you have a smartphone, then you have a music player. Well, I have a blackberry but I am always going to need my iPod touch. The reason? Blackberry app world doesn’t have any good apps. All the apps I have on my iPod touch from iTunes, you can’t get any of them on the Blackberry. I could see if I had an iPhone, then I wouldn’t need my iPod touch, but as long as I have any other phone than an iPhone, I’ll always need my iPod touch.

Alarm clock- Keep it! This is another one I disagree with. My iPod touch is my alarm clock, so why do I need a regular one?

GPS unit- Lose it! I have one, but don’t use it that much. So I’m fine with saying to get rid of it. I can just use google maps.

Books- Keep em! I totally agree. I’m never going to buy an e-reader. I just like having a book physically in my hands. I mean, I guess if I tried reading books with e-readers I would probably get used to it. But I’m gonna keep reading books the old-fashion way. I love what the article said about books:

“consider this about a book: It has a terrific, high-resolution display. It is pretty durable; you could get it a little wet and all would not be lost. It has tremendous battery life. It is often inexpensive enough that, if you misplaced it, you would not be too upset. You can even borrow them free at sites called libraries.”

So let me know what you think about the 10 gadgets. Do you agree or disagree with what me or the article said?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some comments! (I do my best to respond to them all!! :)